This is the only vanilla cake recipe you will ever need! The flesh is soft, buttery and moist, with soft, soft crusts. So easy it is practically foolproof, and it all comes together in just one bowl. Easy, versatile, and so yummy!
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup Greek sour cream or buttermilk yogurt (can be substituted).
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract.
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F, mist three 6-inch cake pans with non-stick spray, and line them with circles cut out of parchment paper.
2. Set the cake flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer, and stir on low speed to blend.
3. Add the butter, mixing on medium-low speed until the mix resembles moist sand (about 1 minute).
4. Add the eggsone at a time, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl to be sure all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
5. Add the yogurt, milk, and vanilla.
6. Mix on medium speed for two to three minutes, to aerate the batter and construct the cake’s structure.
7. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the thickest part of the cake comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
8. Cool completely before filling and frosting.